These are printable cards to be used in conjunction with Cards for Basic Phonograms (a-z) (Level 1). They contain the following entries, some of which are direct ‘upgrades’ of specific cards from the Level 1 deck:
- Long and short vowel sounds for ‘a, e, i, o, u’; also includes the part-time vowel sounds for ‘y’
- Consonant digraphs 1 (‘ch, sh, th, wh’)
- ‘-ck, -dge, -tch’ reading/spelling patterns
- Suffix ‘-ed’
- FLOSS spelling rule
- Doubling (1-1-1) rule for suffixes
- Open Syllable and Closed Syllable rules
- You can replace the Level 1 cards for ‘a, e, i, o, u, y’ with these Level 2 versions once your child has learned the respective long vowel sounds (either from Swords & Stationery or elsewhere).
- -ck has the sound /k/; -dge has the sound /j/; -tch has the sound /ch/. They can be found at the end of a short word immediately after a short vowel.
- Suffix -ed has the sounds /d/, /t/ and /əd/ (as in tested).
- Page 6 contains the answers to Page 5’s rules.
- You can duplex print Pages 5 and 6 (double-sided). This provides you with a direct reference to the rule while you’re holding the other side up for your child.
DISCLAIMER: I take no credit for the font (KG Primary Penmanship 2) and images used. These belong to their respective authors. If you are the author of a particular image and would like to have it removed, please do not hesitate to contact me.